LevelFonds
Ref NoPA23I
TitleParish Records of St Barnabas, Joyden's Wood
Date1924-2000
DescriptionParish registers and administrative material
Extent18 items
Access StatusOpen
AdminHistorySt Barnabas, Joyden's Wood has its origins in the Crayford End Mission established on Bourne Road in 1900. The growth of the local population during the First World War meant that by 1924 the existing mission hall was too small for the local congregation. In 1925 St Barnabas Chapel dedicated as a private chapel by a former Archbishop of Melbourne. This too was soon outgrown by the ever-expanding suburb and in 1949 the Diocese of Rochester acquired a new site on Old Bexley Lane. A church was built and re-dedicated by the Bishop of Rochester in 1952. In 1971 this church was closed and services transferred to the St Mary's Centre, Tile Klin Lane. In 1980 St Barnabas, Joyden's Wood was constituted as a Conventional District. Finally in 1992 it was erected into a Parish in its own right.
Persons
CodePersonNameDates
DS/UK/21Church of England; St Barnabas Parish, Joydens Wood; 1900-; Church1900-
Places
CodeSet
NA32St Barnabas' Church/Tile Kiln Lane/Bexley/London Borough of Bexley/Kent/England
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020