LevelFonds
Ref NoPA23D
TitleParish Records of St John, Bexley
Date1880-2018
DescriptionParish registers and administrative records 1880-2008
Extent208 items
Access StatusOpen
AdminHistorySt John's, Bexley was founded in 1878 as a proprietary chapel of St Mary's, Bexley, which could no longer accommodate the growing population of the district. An appeal for funds was launched in 1880 and attracted the support of the University of Oxford, which owned the Lordship of the Manor of Bexley and substantial landholdings in the district. The new church was opened in 1882. The building boom of the interwar years transformed the whole Bexley area into a suburb of London. The existing parish boundaries needed to be extensively revised and in 1936 St John's, Bexley was made a Parish in its own right.
Persons
CodePersonNameDates
DS/UK/17Church of England; St John Parish, Bexley; 1878-; Church1878-
Places
CodeSet
NA29St John's Church/Parkhill Road/Bexley/London Borough of Bexley/Kent/England
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021