LevelFonds
Ref NoPA23C
TitleParish Records of Christ Church, Bexleyheath
Date1835-2000
DescriptionParish registers and administrative records
Extent210 Items
Access StatusOpen
AdminHistoryA chapel-of-ease to the parish church of St Mary's, Bexley, was built for the fast-growing population of Bexleyheath and consecrated in 1836. This stood on the south side of the Broadway adjacent to what is now Oaklands Road. Until 1844 baptisms at the Chapel were entered in the registers of St Mary's Church. A burial ground adjacent to the Chapel was consecrated in 1842. This soon became full and was closed for burials in 1882, the present Bexleyheath cemetery having been opened in 1879. For burials in the latter enquirers are advised to use the registers in the Local Authority records held here which give more detailed information than the Church copies. The Chapel was licensed for marriages in 1846.Although the Chapel of Ease had been enlarged in 1852 the population was increasing so rapidly that work began on the building of the present Christ Church in 1872 and it was consecrated in 1877.
Persons
CodePersonNameDates
DS/UK/16Church of England; Christ Church Parish, Bexleyheath; 1836-; Church1836-
Places
CodeSet
NA27Christ Church/The Broadway/Bexleyheath/London Borough of Bexley/Kent/England
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019