LevelFonds
Ref NoLASF
TitleSidcup Urban District Council and Predecessor Authorities
Date1873-1936
DescriptionAdministrative records
Extent1236 items
Access StatusOpen
AdminHistoryThe parish of Footscray formed part of the Bromley Poor Law-Union which was established in 1836. Under the Public Health 1872 the guardians of Unions were established as Rural Authorities. This act allowed the formation of parochial committees and the Footscray Parochial Sanitary Committee first met in March 1873. This Committee had the powers to act as agent for the Bromley Rural Sanitary Authority in Footscray, for the discharge of all duties dischargeable by the Authority but could not incur any expenditure without the permission of the Authority.Following the Local Government Act of 1894 Rural Sanitary Authorities were superseded by Rural District Councils which had wider powers and Footscray came under the Bromley Rural District Council. The Act allowed for the establishment of parish councils and the Footscray Parish Council was established in December 1894. The Parochial Sanitary Committee continued until 1896 when its powers were assumed by the Parish Council.In 1902 Footscray was granted Urban Powers and the Parish Council was superseded by the Footscray Urban District Council. The area of the Urban District was much enlarged in 1910 with the transfer of the Lamorbey Ward from the Bexley Urban District. In January 1921 the name of the Council was changed to the Sidcup Urban District Council. This body continued until 1934 when the Chislehurst and Sidcup Urban District Council was formed.
Persons
CodePersonNameDates
DS/UK/26Sidcup Urban District Council; 1921-1934; Local Authority1921-1934
DS/UK/27Footscray Parochial Sanitary Committee; 1873-1894; Local Authority1873-1894
DS/UK/28Footscray Parish Council; 1894-1896; Local Authority1894-1896
DS/UK/29Footscray Urban District Council; 1902-1921; Local Authority1902-1921
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019