LevelSubFonds
Ref NoLAER/CF
TitleRecords of the Council and Committees: Electricity Committee
Date1934-1948
DescriptionAfter Erith Tramways was established in 1903 the Council used surplus electricity generated for the trams for street lighting and for sale to private households. In the years that followed electricity gradually began to replace gas for both domestic and public lighting as well as for a variety of other functions. From 1927 the generating plants of local councils and private companies were linked in a national grid run by the governement owned Central Electricity Board. In 1933 the tramways were nationalised and became part of London Passanger Transport Board. Finally in 1949 the entire electricity industry was nationalised.

Records of the Electricity Committee 1934 - 1948
Extent2 Items
Access StatusOpen
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019