LevelFonds
Ref NoLAER
TitleRecords of Erith Borough Council and Predecessor Authorities
Date1864-1966
DescriptionAdministrative records
Extent2100 items
Access StatusOpen
AdminHistoryBefore the English Civil War Erith appears to have possessed its own Mayor and Corporation. Whether this had been established by royal charter or by ancient custom is unclear. After the restoration of the monarchy in 1660 all such dubious municipal privileges were subjected to rigorous scrutiny. Like many other towns Erith had its charter reviewed and apparently revoked. This left responsibility for local government divided between the Parish Vestry and the still functioning Manorial Courts.After the opening of the Crossness sewage plant in 1865 Erith was transformed from a small riverside resort into an industrial port and manufacturing centre. The existing administrative structures proved unsatisfactory for the new situation and so Erith Local Board of Health was established under the Public Health Act 1875 to act as the sanitary authority for the Parish of Erith. The Local Government Act 1894 created Erith Urban District Council. This replaced the Local Board and took over the civil powers of the Parish Vestry. Over time the Council was granted further powers covering such matters as electricity supply and tramways, for which it obtained special Acts of Parliament.In 1937 Erith was granted a new royal charter erecting the town into a Borough. The charter provided for a Mayor and Borough Council to take over the functions of the old Urban District Council, it also acquired a greater say in the running of local schools through a joint committee with Kent County Council.Under the terms of the London Government Act 1963 the Borough of Erith was abolished and from 1 January 1965 the town became part of the London Borough of Bexley.
Persons
CodePersonNameDates
DS/UK/76Erith Borough Council; 1894-1965; Local Authority1894-1965
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019